Tuesday, June 26, 2012

DIY Deodorant

So the jury is still out on whether products in commercial deodorants can lead to negative health outcomes.  (Wiki summary here)  In reading, "Making It," I realized I had most of the inputs for a DIY adventure and decided to give it a shot.

Empty deodorant stick (the roll up platform kind-- travel size is most manageable)
1 tablespoon beeswax
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/8 tsp tea tree oil
1/8 tsp lavender or other essential oil

Combine beeswax and olive oil in a double boiler (or functional equivalent).  This stuff is messy and I stray towards pretty small quantities, so I use a little gladware cup.  I tried nuking it in the microwave, but stirring the wax was too interruptive.  Mix until fully melted + blended.  Add tea tree oil for its antiseptic properties.  Add another essential oil like lavender to moderate its smell.  I tried frankincense & myrrh the second time around and liked the smell better-- but it still smells 90% like tea tree.    Pour into the rewound deodorant stick.  Let cool and you're good to go.

This stuff doesn't have antiperspirant properties, so if sweat through is a big concern, this project probably isn't for you.  The signature scent potential is appealing so I may experiment with a couple more batches of this.


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home