Friday, November 4, 2011

Electrical


As a birthday treat I got to rewire the front massive living room. This was not very fun mainly because the previous owner had a lot of dogs and would apparently let said dogs run around and poop in the crawlspace. There was also quite a lot of rat shit as well. Crawling in this stuff is not entertaining.

Since this job was more than just a direct upgrade/adding a single new outlet I needed to do a pull all the way back to the breaker. Naturally getting the correct parts meant the customary multiple trips to home depot. Installing the breaker and the conduit was fun with the power going off and on about 30 times as I did some wiring then cut some conduit. After the first plan on where to run the conduit would have had me entering the basement directly on a floor joist we had to scrap that plan and come out the side of the breaker box instead of the bottom.

With the conduit installed and the romex in the basement then came the fun task of pulling the wire and tacking it in place. I pulled to the first outlet in the line split off a junction box and stopped for the night, completely filthy. The next night was Halloween and the neighborhood really got into the spirit of things. I quickly got some more wire pulled as Belle distributed goodies. Then as I was out of the basement getting more staples and wire nuts Belle called my phone from the front of the house to send me on an emergency candy run. I suppose my costume was homeless bum who sleeps in the dirt. $30 worth of candy procured and just in the nick of time as Belle had 3 lollipops left in the candy bucket. I was very happy to see lots of trick or treaters come by. Our neighbors mentioned that the the last owner kept the gates locked for the previous 20 or so Halloweens. Gave a random tour (number 6?) to a very nice lady from down the street and gave up getting any more done on the electrical. Spent the rest of the evening chatting with neighbors and kids. Chi got to make an appearance and spooked some kids but most were very excited to see her.

Tuesday I went back down for dungeon crawl #3, and we now have 4/6 outlets done in the living room and wire pulled for the other two. One more crawl and I can tear out all the knob and tube down there.


Other things we have done:
Moved the koi pond to the front porch
Carved pumpkins
Stained and installed crown moldings/footers in the office. Thanks cousin T!
Started wallpaper removal from the bedroom ceiling.
Built a new koi pond spigot out of larger bamboo.
Mandatory 3 trash bins filled to the brims.
MaGyver continued to work on the rose garden.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home