Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Some bad days

Yesterday sucked to the point of failure. My goal for the night was to split off the romex wire in the middle room run about a foot patch wire and install a new grounded outlet in the kitchen for the big fridge.

Well things started to go wrong. It started off right away with the hole I exposed in the kitchen being right over a stud, apparently the kitchen wall is floating 1/2" off all the studs. Cool, make a slightly larger hole just to the right.

I didnt really have wire cutters or strippers so I was using scissors and a razorblade to cut and strip. Also the existing wire was installed so shitty that there were bare wires due to friction. I didnt have time to rerun the wire so I chopped a little extra off the existing wire and stripped past the bare point. This caused the existing outlet to be very tight when I was putting it back in it's conduit box. Which meant the mounting flanges needed to get dremeled down some.

The backplate of the outlet needed one of its port holes punched out. In doing so I managed to cut my thumb with a screwdriver. When drilling the receiving hole in the wall I once again hit a stud (awesome). No problem I drilled slightly to the side of the stud and the wire was good to go.

Well the 1 hr ended up being 3 and I yelled at Belle because the perishables were sitting on the floor. Somehow despite the power being off in the house and us not having a working fridge at all I got it in my head that this was her fault. Stupid thought which I have spent the rest of the night and this morning apologizing profusely for. At some point I realized that I should have cooked dinner but it was too late to turn back so we went hungry for the night.

To cap the fail off I ended the night by using the fancy new electric flyswatter to obliterate the light fixture above the bed sending shards of glass all over the bed, the floor and Belle.

I suppose on the plus side the outlet works and the fridge is cooling. All of the contents of the mini fridge have been moved. Still just a shitty night after such a productive Monday. Sorry Belle! <3

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home