Monday, July 2, 2012

Buffalo Wild Wheat

It's been a couple months since I ate meat.  A general desire to cut grocery costs, eat more veggies and less adulterated food products, and reduce my footprint collided with some some unanticipatedly graphic slaughterhouse footage in the vegan documentary I'd surfed to on Amazon Prime.  On the whole, I haven't looked back.  If anything, it's nice to have my lunch choices whittled down a bit at the cafeteria.  It's rad not to have a pile of questionably aged meat biding its time in a corner of the fridge.  

That said, The two things I miss from my carniverous days were 1.  bacon (which I sneak by proxy of having MacGyver fry breakfast zucchini hash browns, rosemary sweet potato fries, etc. in his drippings) 2. Buffalo Wild Wings "buffalo" dry rub sauce.  

Fortunately, you can buy the dry rub as a seasoning.  I've taken to dusting grilled tempeh (soy) cubes with it as a neater but just as tasty alternative.  Tempeh has become my default dry rub vehicle because it is one of the few meat substitutes I can find at Trader Joe's which isn't already dolled up as a burger patty, sausage link, etc.  I tried these with Seitan (wheat product), which was expensive.  Seitan showed promise, texture-wise, but I over seasoned the first batch.  A lot of meat products pick up a more intense flavor than their animal peers.  Now if only they'd let me "carry in" for the next BarCraft...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home