Friday, November 22, 2013

Gardening Update

So all of those herb and winter plant starts I loaded up at the start of this 30 day challenge are overrunning their gladware cups.


I transplanted some of the artichoke starts (both green and purple) into the window box where the older choke starts seem to have taken hold...  one intrepid soybean plant out there at the end with teeny pods.  I'm not sure why I have such bad luck with soybeans, the last batch all seemed to have molded in their cups or got a false start on their first leaves without any roots and stayed that way.  


This is actually a waterfall.  The drainage holes on the 2 tiers of window boxes first drip from the first tier (artichokes, etc.) into the second tier (pictured-- sour gherkin cukes, misc salad greens, beets, mini bok choy, purple basil, etc.), into a 3rd tier on the straw bale of dwarf kale, cilantro, chard and whatnot, or into a potted Big Max pumpkin planter, or into the spinach tower on the left.  I wedged a window box into the bottom of the cascade and inserted a couple kinds of basil and some marjoram.  Hopefully when the waterfall hits homeostasis, this will be a sufficiently soupy spot for them.
 
 The glad cups this freed up got filled with beans.  I'm pretty sure it is not proper bean season at the moment, but I have so many types and I'm pretty blase about them, so I won't be as concerned with transplanting them (aka abandoning) in remote parts of the yard.

 Made an apple cider vinegar cocktail for the 2 blueberry plants which I have not yet managed to kill...

 Transplanted a couple of the broccoli and cauliflower starts into the molecule garden which is normally pretty arid, but we've had a couple days of rain and hopefully it will persist.  I also dump out dirty chicken water here every day or so and I know broccoli managed to grow (if not thrive exactly) here in years past.

My indoor peas were looking pretty pathetic, so I inserted 2 fava beans and pot of arugula starts to keep them company.  Fava beans are the "it" seed of the season.  100% germination rates, always sprouted earlier than everything planted concurrently, and balloon into these big bushy plants that can hold their own against crab grass.  


I could already see some volunteer weeds starting to sprout around the new grey water marsh, so I supplemented with some scotch kale starts and a little bed of chamomile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home