Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Souped up french onion

The author claimed that I would be amazed when the 1.5 cups of grated swiss cheese gelled into a uniform consistency with the rest of the broth.  Maybe I didn't stir it enough...



Either way, I heart cheese, grilled onions, and garlic, so this turned out pretty tasty, if a bit stringy.

2 onions chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
2 tbs butter
2 tsp ground mustard

combine in pot and cook until soft (approx 10 mins)

2 tbs flour
2 tbs sherry (or take a page from Julia Child's approach...18:17...22:20... 27:10...the more the better ;)  )
2 cups water
1 tsp horseradish (be careful, life has no undo button)

add gradually, stir thoroughly

1.5 cu milk warmed in microwave
1.5 cu packed shredded swiss cheese (or in my case, just shred the entire brick...)

stir until amazed, or too hungry to wait longer.

add pepper, possibly more mustard/horseradish to taste, dash of paprika to garnish, etc.


et voila!  breakfast of champions.  I haven't had the heart to tell fitbit that this is probably more calorically rich than the 345 calorie Uno's french onion soup equivalent I found... but I'm down 3 lbs since submitting to tomagotchi 2.0, so perhaps this is acceptable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home